News:

Jul 6, 2023 - Forum patched to version 2.1.4 | RSS2.0 Feed

Pelicar Game Website

Main Menu

Most memorable campaign moments

Started by Lew, May 02, 2008, 08:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lew

Thought this might bring up some interesting memories ;D, or just rehash the same one's we've been telling for years ::).

My best GM memory is a tie between screwing over the PC's with the Coopers, and the release of Ruin Runner.  The Ruin Runner story is a good one, because the PC's had been down on their luck for several sessions.  They hadn't found anything cool or challenging, and hadn't liberated any substantial treasure.  They had seen a job posted for clearing kobalds (I think) from a mine, but ignored it for a while.  Finally, they went to the mine didn't find and kobalds, just some kind of plant creatures.  They weren't finding any treasure either.  Finally the find a naked guy trapped in a pentagram.  They knew it was going to be a bad idea, but they were so sick of not finding anything the opened it, and the rest is history.  It actually worked out great for the PC's, RR was a chaotic evil lunatic badass, but he was a friend.

As a player, it's hard to say.  I had a lot of fun with Bob and Jacob, but it was the general experience, not single moments.  Maybe my most memorable moment was playing in a module that Kevin Underhill was running.  We finally figured out that we had no control over what was happening and every time Kevin asked us what we wanted to do, we told him "we follow the elves".  This went on for hours.  Obviously we never finished the module.
So many subplots

Cope

I enjoyed the Coopers too.....Fudge the Coopers

A few stories always stick in my head.

1. Rune Runner
2. The first dragon that CoT killed, so anticlimatic. It was funny.
3. The vampire in CoT that we chased forever....fantastic idiocy.

We cannot banish dangers, but we can banish fears.  We must not demean life by standing in awe of death.

Fingers

I wasn't there for the Rune Runner thing and Fudge the Coopers!  A few of my favorites were(in no particular order):

1st level, Yagar walking into a bar covered in soot, no armor and no weapons, " That's the last Red Dragon I ever kill by myself!"

The many fights with Deldine! Sumbitch!

Nothing can Kill it?  Get it Nothingness!  The look on Russells face was classic!

Stryper's battle with 2-9th rank Liches and a Cloud Dragon, ending in a draw!

He's a Ki-Rin?  The look on everyone's face was classic!

The damned polymorphed earth elementals that looked like Lizardmen.

The way Chuck ran "the temple of elemental evil", I never thought a module could be so much fun.

Zacker unawaredly sneaking past the Remoraz, to be toasted by it when the group woke it up!

Verin? (Yes?) Recant huh? (Yes.) And that really means to dispute one's word? (For the last time, YES!) See I know'd ta be scared o dem lernin books! Einstein's ta blame, always pushin everbody ta be more 'n they are! (Ugh!) I know why LB came, but why'd you? (Times are, I ask that myself. Now eat!)

Lew

Quote from: Fingers on May 02, 2008, 09:39:13 AM

Stryper's battle with 2-9th rank Liches and a Cloud Dragon, ending in a draw!

Forgot about that one, I think the only death was when the Dragon had had enough and carried of a 15th level fighter that was traveling with Stryper.  The battle ended when the liches ran out of spells.

Quote from: Fingers on May 02, 2008, 09:39:13 AM

He's a Ki-Rin?  The look on everyone's face was classic!

Shaka, certainly let us have our fun.  Really the Ki-rin was a bad memory for me, I could have handled it much better.  Man, D&D sucked.  It took a great DM to keep us interested.  John and Chuck were two of the best.
So many subplots

Head

In no order:

1. During the ran-sacking of local taverns period in CoT, in one fight some mage was pelting us with spellfire and Markus decided enough was enough, ran to the bar, dived over it and into the mage.  For some reason that one just sticks out.

2. The time half the party was squashed to death in CoT going down some pit on a rope.  Fighting kobolds most likely.

3. Capt Korg and the Sea Barons.. I just really got into him.  Surf Runner in the current one sometimes reminds me of it.

4. The time we spent hours and hours (real time, not game time) searching a "PC come here" dungeon/cave system where each corridor, chamber, and directional choices were explained that had absolutely nothing in it.  LOL.. classic.

5. The time Markus interrupted Lew while he was giving some creature description (I seem to remember Markus had been blinded at the time or something) and said, "I don't care what it is, just hit it." 

6.  I agree that whole vampire thing in CoT was funny.  Was it Keck's character that burned the vampire which caused the wooden stake to burn thereby allowing the vampire to come back to life?
"Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing." - Robert Benchley
Twitter: @mrheadrick

Fingers

Mark Mark playing a Mage loaded to the gills with oil, over and over! :firedevil:  Ahhhh... Good times! :clap:
Verin? (Yes?) Recant huh? (Yes.) And that really means to dispute one's word? (For the last time, YES!) See I know'd ta be scared o dem lernin books! Einstein's ta blame, always pushin everbody ta be more 'n they are! (Ugh!) I know why LB came, but why'd you? (Times are, I ask that myself. Now eat!)

Fingers

Alex being turned to stone while pissing off the back of an Elephant, toppling and shattering into many little pieces!  Now that was a piss break!  Don't worry he was resurrected.  Zacker was there to pick up the pieces! :o 

Oh and Alex always making sure there was a long trip for those resurrected immediately following their raising!  What an ass! ;D

Lew

What about Yagar going Keld in Mitrosaur?  Throwing the king off the balcony and declaring himself the new monarch.

Or the look on DJ's face as he did the math after Deldine did 40 something points of magic missile damage to Sacaron while being bitten. :o
So many subplots

Keck

The barbarians that John and I were playing when we chased the werewolf all over that island with the minotaurs.  The gold idol that the CoT carried all through the jungle.  Personally I have always thought about the session the Zacker and Alex died because I missed that session.
Its better to burn out than to fade away

Keck

In Dj's campaign when Conlan and Jacob fought the thief rival of Russ's halfling, that kept on asking "Who are you guys?"

Dj

Thank you Mario! But our Princess is in another castle!

Chuck

Thanks for the compliments on the Temple of Elemental Evil.  I had a lot of fun running that!  By the way, have any of you guys played the Temple of Elemental PC game?  It's really buggy but it is the exact module in PC game form.  It was cool to go in and "see" Hommlet, the Temple, etc.  It brought back a lot of good memories.  You can pick it up for like five bucks if anyone's interested.

My favorite campaign moment was the whole Company of Tears campaign that Lew ran.  That was a blast.  I really liked the characters/players and how we developed the whole adventurer/mercenary company thing.  I also REALLY liked the way we did'nt find a lot of treasure and magic items.  It made us really value what we had.  It was really something if your character had a +1 sword. 

I was directly involved in releasing Rune Runner (well... I wasn't, Elintar was).  Could somebody fill me in on who/what he was and is?

Also, does anyone know what happened to Marc Schiermier?  He was part of the Company of Tears and a great player/friend.  I'm curious as to where he ended up.

Dj

I've got Temple of Elemental Evil - there is a patch (1.4 I think) that solves alot of the bugginess. I think I even hacked this one a little...changed the fighting soundtrack and stuff. I enjoyed it - transfered to PC game fairly well.

Oh...you'll get lots of responses and opinions on Rune Runner...I'll leave that to those more involved. Thurmatu never met him personally - he was in a battle with and against him a few times, but I digress.

I found Schiermier on Myspace about a year ago...we didn't friend request each other, but I can probably find his profile again.
Thank you Mario! But our Princess is in another castle!

Keck

Rune Runner showed up a couple times with the CoT.  He actually joined the company for a little while disguised as someone else.  He brought the company from Sual to the Babylonian Empire.  Deldine killed him at about the same time that Alex and Zacker were killed by the Coopers.  He sent Alex an intelligent sword to use for awhile.

Lew

Rune Runner was the Champion of Cthulu.  His release was one of the many signs that the Age was ending.  He had many battles with Deldine, who was the champion of the age (as fucked up as that sounds).  Rune Runner survived post campaign, though I don't remember if he made it to the last battle at Dead Angle Keep.  Darren might remember.  Though it was never run out that battle pitted Deldine, Lord Aaron, Stryper and the rest of humanity against the Slasdi and the Nameless Gods.  I can't even remember who techically won.  The whole world went to shit anyway.
So many subplots