News:

Jul 6, 2023 - Forum patched to version 2.1.4 | RSS2.0 Feed

Pelicar Game Website

Main Menu

Question

Started by Cope, Dec 20, 2006, 01:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cope

Earlier DJ started a thread about required viewing and it got me thinking' "What books, movies, and experiences empower your game thought when role-playing. I don't mean, well I played with you guys for years......I mean has had a real impact?

For me:
Some of my thoughts come from my favorite historical era 1100 to 1600.

Books:
Tolkien
Chronicles from Dragonlance
Robert Jordan -Wheel of Time
Historical Fiction like Here Be Dragons, The Sunne in Splendour
Arthurian Legend - Once and Future King, Idylls of the King, Le'Morte de Artur, Mists of Avalon
When I was a kid I read a series called The Dark is Rising, good stuff for a 3-7 grader.....

Movies:
The Hunt for Red October
Excalibur (was the first R rated movie I remember seeing)
Braveheart
Rob Roy
Army of Darkness (hilarious)
Tombstone

Games:
Gauntlet
Mortal Combat
Civilization
Its on like Donkey Kong Bitch
Risk
Chess

well thats a start :Minotaur:

We cannot banish dangers, but we can banish fears.  We must not demean life by standing in awe of death.

Lew

Books

The Star Wars Saga, not the nine movies, but the 90+ books since.  Why?  Because of the breadth of the universe they have created.

Movies

Die Hard
King Aurthur (the lastest one)
The Magnificent Seven
The Out Law Jose Wales

Why?  Very realistic characters just trying to get along.  No grand quests, no save the world, just adventuring for the everyday guy.

More Movies

Troy
Lord of the rings

Why?  Sometimes it is for the world.

Games

Hmm, how much of Pelicar's economic laws are bases on Civilization and games like it.

Star Wars vs. Micronauts with a forced draft of army men.  Many a Saturday was spent with the sides entrenching deeply in bookshelves and block forts.  Many a Sunday was spent firing marbles back and forth across the room.  I made up the rules and I "role played" out the feuds that caused desertions and downright treachery.

Nine years of insisting that I was a martian.  It may be a borderline psychosis, but it certainly exercised the imagination.
So many subplots

Cope

But Lew, you still think your a martian :monkey:
We cannot banish dangers, but we can banish fears.  We must not demean life by standing in awe of death.

Dusty

so is it really Marvin "The Martian's" Point...../???hummmm :worship: :banana:
My future is so bright, I gotta wear sleeves....

Fingers

Rather than repeat one's already posted I'll add only those unlisted.

Most of these never made a great impact as a whole but have lent visions, ideas, thought processes, and characters that have been incorporated along the way.  The One's in bold have had the most impact.  Most however are just examples of using strengths and weaknesses to overcome your enemies.

Books:  Steven Brust,Jhreg-Vlad Taltos Series; Fred Saberhagin, Book of swords series; James Silke, Deathdealer series; Glenn Cook, The Black Co. Series; George R.R. Martin, A Song of Fire and Ice series; Anne Rice, Vampire Chronicles; Piers Anthony books, to add some really odd ideas; Don Quixote;

Movies: Deathstalker-bad movies but greatly helped with visualization.  Robin Hood prince of Thieves; The BeastMaster; Willow; The princess bride; The three musketeers ( differing versions) The Wizard of Oz( how a party works together) each has talents and short comings. Jason and the argonauts; Sinbad and the seven seas; Stargate; Gladiator Caligula, helped to visualize the debuachery. Peter Pan; John Wayne Movies (epitomy of a Tough Guy) Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Indiana Jones, anyone? Duh!!! Jewel of the Nile; Romancing the Stone.

TV: All Star Trek's, Bab 5, Stargate SG-1, Cartoons ( He-Man, Thundercats, Popeye, Road Runner, Dungeons and Dragons) Bewitched (magic)

Games: Talisman, Champions, Search for the Dragonbone staff, Doom, Ultima, Baldor's gate, Knightmare Chess, Monolopy(negotiation) 
Verin? (Yes?) Recant huh? (Yes.) And that really means to dispute one's word? (For the last time, YES!) See I know'd ta be scared o dem lernin books! Einstein's ta blame, always pushin everbody ta be more 'n they are! (Ugh!) I know why LB came, but why'd you? (Times are, I ask that myself. Now eat!)

Cope

From Lew
The Outlaw Josey Wales - great movie. And what is the line that every adventurer remembers from this movie.....Dying ain't much of a livin boy..........

Clint Eastwood played in some so many movies (credited with over 60) and he had some tough guy roles.......Rowdy Yates, Dirty Harry, Josey Wales, The Preacher........hell even Philo Beddoe

From Darren
John Wayne - The real American tough guy, played in over 150 movies. Even his last Western, The Shootist. He plays a gunslinger, dying from stomach cancer, and decides to go out in his own way. But he can't bring himself to lose on purpose- great stuff.

Which one was tougher, and more leveled...........

Lew

"Crows gotta eat to, same as worms" :worship:
So many subplots

Cope

That is a GREAT line too.

Dj

Jumping in late... but since I can't sleep, I thought I'd feel out some of the other threads I haven't caught up on. I'd have to say in general, much of my gaming ideas were set by late Jr High. Although my thinking has been challenged by people after that, most of the influences come prior to college.

Books:
Anything Lovecraft
C.S. Lewis children's stories (I read them young)
Also, Douglas Adams' Books.
The Dark Elf series
The condensed versions of Illiad and mythology stories I had to read in Jr High.
And of course, Xmen and other comics.
Lastly, there was this awesome unpublished book entitled Circles of Love

Movies:
Evil Dead Series (including Army of Darkness)
Deathstalker
The Golden Child
Highlander
Silverado

Games:
Ok, I was 12 when "Temple of Apshai" came out - and yes, there were computers back then. I distinctly remember maneuvering my 18-pixel sprite through the maze. I would engage blips on the screen with amazing skill. The lack of graphics forced my imagination to create the scenery - a sad thing missing from modern game players (imagination, not graphics).
Also, text-based Scott Adams adventures influenced my ideas about problem-solving in fantasy settings.
Then came Wizardry...everything since has been a rehashing with better artists.
Thank you Mario! But our Princess is in another castle!

Cope

Great Post about Games DJ. Hell I can still remember the Legend of Zelda and the first Gauntlet.

Dj

I liked the first Gauntlet...it was cool how they tied food to health in a Realtime fantasy system. This might be the first Real-Time game for Fantasy. I'm sure its the first RT multiplayer for fantasy. Anyone got one that predates it?

This is post 84 - I'm approaching the century mark...

Head

Yeah... I forgot to go to bed the night before.. so last night was an early one for me. 

As far as reading material goes.. I have never been a big reader.   Not sure if it had to do with my eyesight as a kid or what but reading in general was a chore.  I could only handle about 10 pages in one sitting before I had to take a rest.. I'd feel tired.  Even with bi-focals for reading I'd tire of it, even with books I wanted to read.  I've had to put books down that I wanted to keep reading but couldn't physically if that makes any sense.  Anyway, I had a lazy left eye that always looked of to lala land until 5 surgeries on my eyes corrected it by the time I was five.  Still remember wearing those dumb patches over the one eye.. and doing all these eye exercises.  The nearsightedness and stigmatism didn't help either.  So, having said all that, I can't contribute anything to the books area.

Games, until I ran into you guys in college, never played any mainstream Fantasy RPG stuff like D&D, (the longer I think about this, I may have played D&D once with a kid in my neighborhood).  I am glad I was exposed to the face-to-face, pencil, paper, dice version 1st where you had to use your imagination.  As far as computer games go, I was never a big gamer.. although I would get myself into some games every now and then.. usually just demo/trial/cracked versions (I had alot of cracked Commodore 64 games).  I'd get bored with most games pretty quickly.. why I seldom bought any.. couldn't justify the expense to buy a game that I could get bored of in 30 minutes or something.  Used to play Paradroid alot on the C64, the Summer/Winter Olympic games, Battle Chess.  Still amazes me what they could cram into 64K of RAM.. which only 38K or so was usable unless you did some low-level program trickery to swap out pieces of the operating system. 

Oh yeah, I did have that Adventure game on the Atari 2600.

There was some damn RPG game I played alot of either on the PC or the C64 and can't remember what it was.. did play the D&D Games that Robert hooked me onto... but this was something else... I dunno.

Back to future, er present.  Everquest...  man, talk about a Realtime fantasy game... if you wanted to go from this city to that city.. you had to walk/run to it which might take 15-20 minutes or something.  Generally you try the safest path, but you'd get attacked by some roaming creature and if you died, made you re-appear at your "home" city, naked.  So, you have to walk all the way back to where you died to loot your own corpse to get your stuff back, before it rotted away.  Anyway, I'm just glad I never tried talking any of you into playing it... that damn thing took my life over just about... a very unhealthy addiction, physically and emotionally.  (Admittedly, it was the personal relationships that I had formed that kept me playing... not so much the actual mechanics of game play).

Post Everquest.. I haven't played anything except Doom III and Ultimate Race Pro (I've always liked simple racing games).  I tried Star Wars Galaxies once.. got bored in like 10 minutes.  I don't even think about playing anything that's out there now.. it's just all the same crap just different graphics and names above rendered 3D objects and maybe somewhat different mechanics of game play.  Perhaps that's what I tell myself to keep me from getting addicted to something like that again.

Movies.. good grief.  Just about any Sci-Fi/Fantasy type.  Most have been mentioned already.
"Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing." - Robert Benchley
Twitter: @mrheadrick

Dj

At least you didn't credit "JumpMan" from the C64 days.  :banghead: