• Welcome to Pelicar Fantasy RPG Forum.

Looks like General Drusus (me) died...

Started by Chuck, Apr 15, 2009, 08:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck

Battle of Fiumicinius

The Battle of Fiumicinius was a decisive battle of the Senatorial Civil War. On September 12, 82 AD, the battle was fought at Fiumicinius in central Italy between forces of the Imperial faction and forces of the Senatorial faction. Both factions fielded armies from the Roman Empire. The Imperials were led by Marcus Cornelius Drusus and the Senatorials were led by Gnaeus Gaius Marcus. In addition to Gaius, the Senatorial faction included a few members of the Roman Senate. The victory of Drusus weakened the Senatorial forces and restored Emperor Salinator's control over the Roman Empire

Date: September 12, 82 AD

Result: Decisive Imperial victory

Belligerents:

Drusus'(Imperial) forces

Marcus Cornelius Drusus

Gaius' (Senatorial) forces

Gaius Marcus
Valerius Magnus

Strength:

Drusus
Approximately 22,000 Legionaries and Auxiliaries and around 500 Cavalry

Gaius
Approximately 15,000 Legionaries and Auxiliaries and 5,000 Cavalry

Casualties and losses:

Imperial forces: 7,200

Senatorial forces: 9,000

Prelude
After having returned from Parthia in the middle of August after hearing of the outbreak of the Civil War, Drusus' Roman army, consisting of four legions and totaling 22.000 infantry , remained encamped to the east of Rome, erecting a fortified camp just north of Ostia. Feeling themselves threatened by the illegal presence of such a large force only an hour from Rome, the Senatorial party demanded action. Having received reinforcements from the Legio II Augusta from Brittania and Legio X Rufus from Dacia, Gaius determined to attack Drusus force and to force him out of the Italian Peninsula- and away from Roman influence. In the early hours of the 12th of September he approached Ostia with an army estimated at 15,000 infantry and 5,000 cavalry.
Gaius' took the risky option of a surprise night attack. In the best traditions of such it resulted at best in a mediocre operation. Although the outposts were surprised and overwhelmed, too many troops were engaged, so that coordination went missing, troops took longer to reach the camp than planned and Drusus detected their approach early enough to organize at least part of his forces with astonishing speed, despite the already inflicted losses.

Deployment
Drusus realized that his shortage of cavalry was a serious drawback and that a defeat therefore would mean a certain demise. In order to counter a potential cavalry attack, he therefore took the risk of placing his war elephants and German light troops in the center of his line, so in order to counter Gaius'cavalry wherever they showed up.
Gaius hoped to win the battle by using his superior cavalry numbers to mount a two-flank attack on Drusus' forces, putting a substantial amount of effort into ensuring that he would be able to 'sneak around to the back'. As such, he ordered the entirety of his cavalry on Drusus's right and rear, together with light forces consisting of slingers and archers.

Battle
Drusus immediately ordered out his veterans of Legio Rapax to confront the Gaius' main force from the north, thereby giving his other three legions time to organize. Behind them, he deployed his two legions in a wedge formation-hoping to break Gaius' centre, leaving a part of the third in reserve, behind the elephants and light.
The engagement was hampered from the start due to the morning darkness. Reports of the various enemy movements and numbers proved to be mostly unaccurate or wrong. In the first hour of the battle, Livy writes that troops on both sides ended up engaging their own. However, this problem was soon solved when General Brutus decided to set the battlefield alight with the help of burning projectiles, fired from onagers at Drusus base camp.
As the infantry was engaged in a life and death struggle in the centre, Gaius immediately ordered his cavalry out as soon as the first light appeared on the horizon.
Gaius' himself led the initial cavalry charge, and crashed into Drusus right flank of his auxilia swordsmen, Drusus reacted however by ordering his German light from second line to disperse the cavalry together with his reserve. When confronted by Drusus' reserve of heavy infantry, made from one cohort of the last line of every legion, Gaius' charge was pushed back (Drusus had told his legionaries to thrust their siege spears ( having exchanged the usual Pilum, Pila - plural ) into the enemy cavalrymen's faces instead of throwing them), and soon the cavalry of Gaius's left was pushed into the foothills surrounding the battle. It is at this point that Drusus was reported to have fallen from his horse, only to have another one fall upon him, crushing his legs and making him unable to move so that for the remainder of the battle he had to be carried around in a stretcher from one side of the battlefield to another.
Soon after, the second and decisive cavalry charge was ordered, this time from the rear. The thinned out reserve was unable to counter the massive charge of Gaius' Praetorian Cavalry under Valerius and soon the Roman veterans of Legio III Tertia Scythica broke formation. It now seemed that Gaius was on the verge of victory, having found the door to Drusus' rear wide open. In a desperate gamble - from his stretcher - Drusus sounded the trumpet ordering his 24 African War elephants and his German light to be let loose upon the élite cavalry. As Livy states: "...the beasts, having been in the midst of the confusion of the battle for nearly three hours, seemed almost relieved to finally be free, they caused enormous chaos among Gaius' cavalry of which only a few were able to flee the field of battle in fright, the others were ruthlessly stampeded upon or thrown into the air by their pointy tusks..." Only the Scythian light cavalry units - of which largely horsearchers – managed to save Gaius' cavalry from complete destruction. The archers attacked the elephants, causing them to panic and trample their own men – the light German warbands accompanying them. Finally it was left to Drusus' 300 cavalry to engage the remaining Praetorian cavalry and to secure his rear...
Despite these setbacks to Gaius' forces in the rear, the battle remained a closely contested engagement up front where the larger part of the infantry was engaged. For four hours they confronted each other, resulting in a fierce and bloody struggle, with neither side achieving local gain. However the loss of Gaius' cavalry superiority, marked the turning point of the battle. Although he rallied his men and returned to attack Drusus' vulnerable right flank with his cavalry, his infantry was unable to cope against the well-trained and confident Roman soldiers of General Drusus. When General Aurelianus of Legio Augusta fell among his men at the closing stages of the battle, his exhausted troops disintegrated or surrendered. Only the Praetorian Guard Infantry kept up the struggle. As Livy reports: ...Urging and swearing his men on, cursing to find himself still alive after having bravely fought in the front lines for many hours, Gaius was seen on foot slashing and hitting in a blind rage, calling for his opponent as his army crumbled around him..."

Sorry guys that it took so long...but I wanted to make it look like a real Wikipedia entry...but it didn't work (all that time for nothing ) !

Anyway here's the result of the battle, I will post the scorepoints of each army tommorow

Greets,
FATE

Dj

Actually, I liked the write-up. I bet Lew (if anyone else) would like the detail as well; however, I'm not sure Lew is on here any more...
Thank you Mario! But our Princess is in another castle!

Chuck

Yeah the GM for this, who lives in Belgium, is REALLY good.  The game has been going on since last fall and is approaching the end (we're currently in turn nine and there will be ten turns).

The situation leading to this was an attempted coup against the Emperor (a PC and my ally) while I was away conducting a campaign against the Parthians along with several other PC generals (who were also involved in the coup).  The coup attempt was made by the Captain of the Praetorian Guard Gnaeus Gaius Marcus (PC) and several Senators (including a couple of PC's) who had Republican leanings.

The Emperor was imprisoned and held in Rome while chaos has reigned throughout the Empire as Civil War has erupted.  I returned to Italia by sea with 4 Legions leaving the traitorous generals and their depleted forces locked in battle with the Parthians.  A stalemate ensued.

I ambushed and nearly destroyed a force that was moving to reinforce Gaius commanded by another PC General Valerius.  This was what forced Gauis to leave Rome's fortifications and attack me in my fortified camp since I have two more Legions consisting of 14,000 fresh troops commanded by my Uncle and brother inlaw marching to my aid from the north.

Gaius ordered the Emperor murdered but when he left the city loyal Praetorians released the Emperor and restored him to the throne.

The whereabouts of Gaius and Valerius are currently unknown but the Senatorial leader of the coup Senator Torienus (PC) has been captured by my ally Senator Antonius (PC) and beheaded.

I have been informed by the GM that I have been crippled and will die from internal bleeding sometime during turn 10 thus giving me time to enjoy my victory. 

The Emperor has told me a large triumph in my honor will be held in Rome.

Cope

That was a cool write up. And i like the finite number of turns format.
We cannot banish dangers, but we can banish fears.  We must not demean life by standing in awe of death.

Chuck

I'm glad you guys found it interesting.  This has been one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.  A mix of role playing, wargaming, and political intrigue. 

Currently, there are 21 players from all over the world plus the game master involved.

The GM is talking about starting another game down the road set in the Italian Rennaisance period of Machiavelli.