News:

Jul 6, 2023 - Forum patched to version 2.1.4 | RSS2.0 Feed

Pelicar Game Website

Main Menu

Dark Orbit

Started by Lew, Sep 10, 2008, 07:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lew

Anyone wondering why I haven't been on the board much lately?  I've become completely obsessed with a new game.  It is a space combat multiuser on line game.  It's frustrating at times because I refuse to go the easy route and spend real money to get ahead.  Playing for free, it will take several hundred hours to develop a strong enough ship to really do the fun stuff.

The game is set up in a capitalist universe.  You work for one of three companies: Mars, Earth or Venus.  You get money by collecting resources floating out in space or killing aliens or other users.  You spend money to improve your ship.  In the mornings around a thousand people are active and that climbs to around 1800 by evening.  There are about 20 sectors to play in.  Home sectors are pretty safe and there are rules to help keep it that way.  The level of cooperation is pretty high within companies.  It's not unusual to get help and there is almost a genuine patriotism among most players.

One odd thing that actually works pretty well, is that only the biggest toughest of ships can go into an enemies home sector.  So beginners will have absolutely no chance is the stumble onto one.  I've been killed many times.  What works well about though is to things.  First, it makes you hate the enemy, because you die like a fly under a swatter.  Second, one or two of these ships can only hit and run, because they are so outnumbered.  It gives the game a tension at all times.

If anyone wants to play, take Venus so we are allies.  It is not a game you can half ass play between phone calls, at least not safely.  I don't know how often I'll be on in the evenings, so I'm not really encouraging people to play as a group activity.  However, If you want to give it a try we might as well be on the same side.

It's Darkorbit.com and use the recommended US server.  My ship and screen name is War-Eternal.  The set up is very minimal, you'll be playing in under 10 minutes.
So many subplots

Dj

If anyone has been wondering why I haven't been online much lately - it's because I work for a capitalist company who invested in a high altitude, but weaponless aircraft and flew me to the Appalachia this week. We did use jet fuel; however, some of our engineers in R&D have been working on alternative fuel sources; however, according to one of our energy-evangelists this solution is still 10 years away, but the investment meter is being tracked.

One odd thing about going there is that although we are trying to help the state, we are not well received. In fact the state itself have sued us for 400 million dollars requiring us to stop several investments which would have helped out far greater than the awards we are currently appealing. It gives the job tension while being there.

If anyone want to join the company, join the IT department so we can be allies. But it's not the kind of job you can work at half-ass between phone calls, at least not safely....

Oh, yeah....and I'm back again!
Thank you Mario! But our Princess is in another castle!

Cope

If anyone has been wondering why I haven't been online much lately - its because I love football season and I also work for a capitalist company that seems to think I should build a global elearning platform for our 20,000 employees. I will be flying to Zurich, Switzerland and Manchester, England next week - Yippee......at least it is a bye week for OSU.

Lew, the game sounds interesting I might try it.

DJ, I just had a 3 hour meeting with our Global IT department and our SAP professionals - I am definitiely an enemy of the IT alliance at the moment.
We cannot banish dangers, but we can banish fears.  We must not demean life by standing in awe of death.