Main Menu

Crit and Fumble

Started by Lew, Apr 10, 2008, 06:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lew

Head! How's that program coming. :police:
So many subplots

Head

Uhmmm.. well, I made the Melee Crit and Fumble tables.. but nothing in them yet and no interface so yeah pretty much nothing.  I did get my taxes done Wednesday so I accomplished something on my day off.  I made so little money I'm actually getting a decent amount back LOL.

Do you want to me to start with what we already have as a beginning point or just leave it empty and let everyone fill it up from scratch?
"Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing." - Robert Benchley
Twitter: @mrheadrick

Lew

If you have time then sure, put the old stuff in.  Otherwise someone else can do it.  Will we be able to view what is already in the chart?
So many subplots

Head

Yes, you'll be able to see what's in it.
"Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing." - Robert Benchley

Dj

I liked the crit system of 20 years ago - on a d4.
1    = normal damage, no crit.
2,3 = double weapon
4 = triple weapon

It was simple and not as chaotic. And how often do those weird crits matter? How much fluidity and time is lost for very little difference?

Sometimes we focus a lot of energy on details that yield very little results. But - on the other hand, the whole falling down on each other scene two sessions ago was a lot of fun!
Thank you Mario! But our Princess is in another castle!

Head

I don't remember that crit system... hmmm...  (phone)..  might not have been playing then.

Cope

I think it depends on the scenario....Crits and fumbles in last session didn't really matter and probably wasted time. In small combats the variables can be fun. Sometimes we swing the pendulum too far in one direction in many of our projects and sometimes it gives us unforeseen results. Think back to 2 of our biggest fights on this board - weapon damage and axioms(zyblich) - we NEVER found common ground. Damage is so structured we could write a program to run our combats and zyblich is so different than ANY magic system from the past that we don't know heads from tails.....(mix these 2 together and you have a pretty good system with some unforseen outcomes.)

Maybe we build this chart and then give the GM or players the empowerment to say - large complex battle, straight damage only and no initatives....and then for the usual adventuring team combats we use the chart, initiatives and the normal rules.....
We cannot banish dangers, but we can banish fears.  We must not demean life by standing in awe of death.

Dj

So, what you are saying is that crits and fumbles should be guidelines, not rules?

Cope

No, we should have guidelines for using the rules....
We cannot banish dangers, but we can banish fears.  We must not demean life by standing in awe of death.

Head

Spreadsheet Copy I have is dated 8/7/2007.. that sound like the latest version.  Looks like it?  Ehh, nothing else good for test data.

Oh yeah.. Survivor.. 

Lew

I think we're getting better at figuring out when to worry about what.  In some fights, a wild crit chart is great.  If it is not a good time we need to recognize it and not use it.  Frankly that goes for all the rules and guidelines.  During the sweep we used a COD roll for one fight.  Sometimes we run super simulated numbers for a while then shift.  We won't always get it right, but I think we do more than not.  The fact that players are just as happy for their characters to have a memorable death as make a level makes it easier not to sweat due process and have some fun.
So many subplots

Lew

What are the odd of the expanded chart getting some play next session?  Head, any progress?
So many subplots

Head

Yeah, a little. Was doing some work on it right before all the Thunderstorm action last night.  I unplugged the computer after some power glitches.  Then I got to reading up on what it takes to upgrade my MySQL server from version 4.1.21 to as close to whatever version is on the server now.

I could get it all done in one day if I just sit here and work on it.  :)

Dj

Stupid Question? What are you gonna write it in?

Head

It'll be part of the board in the campaign tab.  So, using PHP and MySQL.