News:

Jul 6, 2023 - Forum patched to version 2.1.4 | RSS2.0 Feed

Pelicar Game Website

Main Menu

Character fonts

Started by Lew, Jan 24, 2008, 10:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lew

With the addition of the gen, would it be possible to add more preset character fonts.  Unless I'm missing something, we are currently limited to two.  To keep them distinct could we preset some to bold, underscored, or italic.  I don't know if any of this is even possible, but it seems we are keeping up with more and more characters on the boards.  Eldrin, the new general of the red hand, craig, Surf Runner and many others could become regulars as the campaign continues to evolve.  Just some thoughts.
So many subplots

Cope

Head, it would be possible to add a pop-up window like  the smileys, where one of us could add names like the NPC's and D'jinn and then choose from the tool bar on the repl window to set characteristics....

Then we could use italics, bold, underline, color, and font size and face to differentiate like.....

Surf Runner: I changed color, font, and size...

Red Eye: I hate the seas.....underlined and red

We cannot banish dangers, but we can banish fears.  We must not demean life by standing in awe of death.

Head

Anything is possible pretty much, just a matter of figuring out how to program it and what kind of interface to use to work with it.

What I may do is add something within the campaign tab for adding these characters/groups...  then say in the post it would only store the text ":red_hand_font:" or something and then dynamically replace the text with the stored font settings.  This way, if you change the color or something later, it will change it everywhere.

Hmmm... something to work on over the weekend maybe.   Probably keep our own characters in our profiles.
"Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing." - Robert Benchley
Twitter: @mrheadrick

Head

I'm thinking of ditching the glow option since it only works with IE.  Firefox just shows a foreground and a background color.
"Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing." - Robert Benchley

Dj

Yeah..the glow has been frustrating for us Firefox users for a while.
Thank you Mario! But our Princess is in another castle!

Lew

Head, I trust that whatever you do will be perfect.
So many subplots

Cope

Use IE like the rest of us...you damn techie rebels....
We cannot banish dangers, but we can banish fears.  We must not demean life by standing in awe of death.

Fingers

That's funny, i thought the same thing! lol ;D
Verin? (Yes?) Recant huh? (Yes.) And that really means to dispute one's word? (For the last time, YES!) See I know'd ta be scared o dem lernin books! Einstein's ta blame, always pushin everbody ta be more 'n they are! (Ugh!) I know why LB came, but why'd you? (Times are, I ask that myself. Now eat!)

Dj

Quote from: Cope on Jan 25, 2008, 12:40:21 PM
Use IE like the rest of us...you damn techie rebels....
I want firefox for protection against viruses. I trust it more than a condom...and use it more often too.

Head

Last night I completed all the behind the scenes stuff related to this, as far as handling it within the posts themselves.  There's will be a drop-down box with the Character's name in it, and it will put a tag in like Buck: (whatever he says).   Whenever you edit the post it will have an opening and closing tag with the character's tag.  You won't actually see the specific color and font tags related to it.

This allows for the ability to change the character's font (size, color, font, bold, etc..) and have it affect every post where that character's tag is. 

Essentially what it does is replace the character's tag with the actual BBC tags associated with it first, and then it sends the post through the normal BBC tag parsing function to render the HTML code sent to the browser.

Anyway...  :blahblah: now I need to do the User Interface to add/edit/delete these character tags.  Once it's all working locally, I'll put it up on the forum.

Dj