News:

Jul 6, 2023 - Forum patched to version 2.1.4 | RSS2.0 Feed

Pelicar Game Website

Main Menu

Mummy - Dragon Emperor

Started by Dj, Aug 09, 2008, 06:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dj

Well - Rachel and I just returned from the Mummy, and I'm a bit disappointed. First the replacement of Rachel Weisz could not carry the part. Granted, they wanted to depict a retired sophisticated adventuress, but she came across as an unloving snob with no real genuineness.   

Once I got past her bad acting, I settled into the rest of the movie. Considering the last two films had at least an above-average script and some clever concepts, I decided that the weak link of the team must have gained rights to the characters and came up with this new script. Not to get all undead-technical, but the Emperor wasn't even a mummy. And he commanded an army of terracotta golems rather than undead.

Ok, fantasy rules aside, because they're really more like guidelines anyway...the script was a combination of a Gygax module meets a few ideas stolen from modern video games crossed over with a descent FX team and poorly bastardized Chinese mythology. The concept looked good on paper, but just didn't play well once the adventure was run out. Further, the comic relief was not even funny.

One redeeming quality that can be appreciated by this group - there were undead in the film, and the skeletons were the good guys.

So, in conclusion, it had some good visuals, fair guns and explosions for an action film, and three or four good moments in two hours. Wait for DVD or HBO.
Thank you Mario! But our Princess is in another castle!